Name:
Location: Evansville, Indiana, United States

Despiser of Stupid People. Read the title of the blog. You'll get it.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Reviewing a Review

I finally got around to seeing The Chronicles of Narnia 2 nights ago when it came up next on my NetFlix queue. Very not bad. I am totally ashamed to say that these books were not included in my upbringing, so I hadn't a clue what to expect. After the movie, I hit Amazon to see if I could pick up the books for a decent price, and, as always, scrolled down to read some of the reviews.

Not a smart move.

Most of the reviews were urging people not to read the set in chronological order, to read them in the order they were released. It made the mystery even better. Sounds good, will do. One review, however, just made me want to weep.

No, not the religious fanatic's review ( she hated it and thought J.K. Rowling was a much better writer) which stated the obvious Aslan = God / Jesus, and he encouraged the children to war, and "No God of mine would *EVER* do that!!"

It was the poor guy who started off stating that "It lacks some of the details and suspense in some of the scenes that I am used to" and went on to say "The pictures (in the book) give you some releaf (his sp., not mine) and also give you more of a picture of what things look like since the details lack so much." Sigh.

I'm happy that seeing the movie actually moved him to pick up a book and read it. Really. But I thought that not describing things to death was the whole point of books. So you could use your own imagination, see the characters and scenery in your own mind. Make them your own, per se. He also doesn't read books then watch the movies made of them very often.

Hell, make that never. Since when are any of the movies faithful to a tee? Not happening. Pretty much can't be done. And I'm okay with that. Mostly. ;)

Anywho...decided against the purchase for now, as I've blown my mad money for the month on a boatload of antibiotics to fight a killer inner ear infection that has stopped me from eating, sleeping, and even working for most of this week. blah.

Aeon Flux hit the mailbox today, and I dragged myself down there to get it. Let's see if I can stay awake long enough to watch it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still haven't got around to seeing Narnia. I was traumatized by an English version of it a good 25 years ago... bloody lion dying all over the place. Um. Hadn't quite absorbed the Christ analogy at that point.

5:14 PM  
Blogger neen said...

Of course you were traumatized. You were 5!

This won't traumatize you. Although I can't speak for how accurate the movie is, it's decent enough. The kids are a little annoying at first, whiny and such, but they get over it. :D

Throw it on your queue. If nothing else, Tilda Swinton is quite gorgeous and horrid as the Queen.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do loves Tilda yes... precious.

OK. So I have a thing for androgynous see-through chicks. What?!

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home